Saturday, March 17, 2007

63. "Edwards Scissorhands" by New Adventures

photo: Bill Cooper
The dvd of Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" is the only one in my small library that receives regular attention. Even the 20th Century Fox Studio Classics edition of "All About Eve" hasn't seen as much playing time. And the reason is that no matter how many times I watch it, his "Swan Lake" always seems new and fresh and plays out like it's the first time I'm seeing it, despite the fact that those viewings have numbered in the hundreds.

So my expectations of "Scisscorhands" were pretty high.

While I did enjoy myself and got swept up by the spectacle, it didn't ellicit as many WOWs as I'd hoped, and I definitely didn't feel anything for poor little freakboy Edward. The treament of the pious Catholic family was hysterical and the topiary ballet was delightful. But it's a shame that my biggest emotional reaction arrived at the curtain call.