Wednesday, March 21, 2007

68. "The Fantasticks" by Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones



When I am old and gray, there's nothing more I could wish for myself than to be appearing somewhere in the English-speaking world (New York would be nice) in a play that I also happen to have written at a much tenderer age. So it would seem that Tom Jones is already living out one of my many fantasies, and he's doing it with great aplomb and charm under the pseduonym Thomas Bruce in the role of Henry of this current revival of his 1960 musical. And as paired with Robert Oliver as Mortimer, the comic duo are a vaudevillian gem. But let's not overlook the rest of the current cast, who are all... well, fantastic ... particularly Doulgas Ullman Jr. as Matt. See him before he's replaced by some American idol reject this coming May.