Sunday, January 28, 2007

22. "Must Don't Whip 'Um" by Cynthia Hopkins


Hmm... where to begin? This piece wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm trying to reserve judgement because I feel like I'm not in the loop on why this is considered art. Maybe if I'd seen the first installment of this trilogy, I'd be a little more educated. For starters, I think what mostly left me questioning the validity of the piece and the artistry of its creator is the rambling mess of incoherent thought that pours out of her during the progression of the performance. Her songs and her voice have the resonant whine of Norah Jones. Ick. The story is pretty lame and there are moments that are borderline ridiculous, but without anything to ridicule, except perhaps Arabic culture. I kept wondering what an Islamic audience member might make of all this? A silly girl cavorting around stage with a tamborine on her head, trying in vain to resemble a American-Moroccan ex-patriate. This is art without reason or politics and to me, came across as self-indulgent and masturbatory. But most of the audience responded favorably, so what do I know? Despite that, I'm glad St. Ann's Warehouse is producing this kind of work.

Ticket fee: $3.00