Thursday, January 11, 2007

9. "Summer and Smoke" by Tennessee Williams


Though it's not one of Tennesee Williams's best dramas, I was glad to have finally seen a fully staged production featuring quality actors. And when I say quality, I do mean Amanda Plummer, who is nothing short of perfect for the role of Alma. Now I'm tempted to rent the film to see the legendary Geraldine Page's take on it.

My previous encounter with Amanda Plummer was as Joan of Arc in the 2005 production of Jean Anouilh's "The Lark" at the Stratford Festival, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg. That too, was perfect casting. Her rough, animalistic gnawing of language and the emotional curveballs she throws really hit you in the gut. It's a shame that her talents are only being showcased in regional houses. Oh, and I have to add: "Any of you fuckin' pricks move and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of you!"

This was my third visit to the Papermill Playhouse, but it was the first time that I left the theater feeling like I hadn't wasted my time by making the trek out to Millburn. And thanks to Kelly, Liz, and Patrick, the hour delay in getting back into Manhattan via the Holland Tunnel made the trip doubly entertaining.

Ticket price: $0